What to do in your garden during October
Plant & Sow
Sow all summer flowering annuals such as :
- Water your vegetable garden every three to four days and pull out unwanted weeds by hand.
Sow vegetables like:
Allium cepa (Onions)
Petroselinum species (Parsley)
Apium graveolens (Celery)
Phaseolus coccineus (Runner bean)
Raphanus sativus (Radishes)
Lycopersicon esculentum (Tomatoes)
Cucurbita pepo var. pepo (Gem squash)
Cucurbita maxima (Pumpkins)
Lactuca sativa (Lettuce)
Daucus carota (Carrots)
Brassica campestris var. rapa (Turnips)
- Thin out bunches in the grapevine where necessary.
- Cherries and Peaches ripen in October
- Cape gooseberries start sowing seed this month.
Fertilize fruit trees like:
- Fertilize Summer-flowering bulbs and keep them moist.
- Fertilise annuals and bedding plants with a liquid fertilizer every 14 days.
- Mow the lawn if necessary.
- Mulch the garden beds.