What to do in your garden during October
Plant & sow
Sow quick-maturing summer annuals like:
Sow vegetables like:
Petroselinum species (Parsley)
Phaseolus coccineus (Runner bean)
Raphanus sativus (Radishes)
Phaseolus vulgaris (Beans (dwarf/green), French beans)
Cucurbita maxima (Pumpkins)
Daucus carota (Carrots)
Cucumis melo; Cucumis citrullu (Melons)
Cucumis sativus (Cucumbers)
Capsicum annuum var. longum, C. var. annuum (Sweet peppers)
Beta vulgaris var. cicla (Chard, Swiss chard)
Asparagus officinalis (Asparagus)
General garden maintenance
- Do not neglect your container plants; prune them lightly and feed and water them regularly.
- Cut out the dead branches from garden trees.
- Feed and deadhead annuals.
- Feed shrubs with a fertilizer high in potassium.
- Water and mow the lawn.
- Fertilize and mulch heliconias and calatheas which are starting to grow during this month.
- Fertilize guava, litchi and mango trees.