What to do in your garden during August
Follow the tips beneath as a basic maintenance guide for your garden this August.
Plant and Sow
- Prepare beds for sowing by digging in compost and 2:3:2 at the rate of 60 g per square metre.
- Start to sow summer-flowering towards the end of the month.
- Annuals adapt well to pot cultures like strawberry pots, tubs, terracotta flowerpots.
Sow the following plants:
Sow Vegetables like :
Plant summer-flowering bulbs such as:
Zantedeschia aethiopica (Arum lily)
Colocasia x hybrid (Elephant’s-ear)
Canna Species (Indian shot)
Liatris pycnostachya (Gay feather)
Tulbaghia violacea (Wild garlic)
Zephyranthes candida (Fairy lily, white rain lily)
Tigridia pavonia x hybrids (Mexican shell flower, tiger flower)
Sprekelia formosissima (Maltese cross, Aztec lily, Jacobean lily)
Polianthes tuberosa x hybrids (Tuberose)
Ornithogalum candicans (Berg lily, white berg lily)
Nerine bowdenii (Giant nerine, large pink nerine)
General Garden Maintenance
- Do not neglect your container plants; prune them lightly and feed and water them regularly.
- Cut out the dead branches from garden trees.
- Feed and deadhead annuals.
- Feed shrubs with a fertilizer high in potassium.
- Water and mow the lawn.
For August maintenance tips on watering, pruning, pests and disease, fertilizing and much more visit our countrywide maintenance guide.