Spending time in your garden is one of the most rewarding, entertaining and healthy hobbies you can get into. Gardening is a way of life and a way to escape from all your worries and frustrations.Gardening has been proven to be beneficial in many different ways, from health-related benefits to help you relax. Gardening helps you get fit, maintain a healthy lifestyle and you get to make your garden a wonderful domain you will want to spend time in.For this reason, you should reap these benefits.
1.Physical HealthGardening is an excellent workout depending on what you do and certainly requires physical effort. If you had to spend three to four hours gardening, it would be the equivalent of one hour in the gym. This helps to keep you fit, lose weight or simply just stay active. Also, gardening is beneficial to those battling with high blood pressure.
2. Mental healthGardening has many psychological benefits. It offers a therapeutic and natural experience that is incredibly rewarding. Also, gardening is beneficial to those living with anxiety and depression.Gardening being a form of exercise helps to release endorphins, the hormone that helps to make people feel satisfied and relaxed. Also, being outside in the sun, helps improve your mood.
3. Medical healthReduces risk of stroke – Gardening helps reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke and helps prolong life by up to 30%.Improves immune system – Another advantage of the sun is that it helps you absorb vitamin D. Vitamin D helps your body to absorb calcium, which helps keep your bones strong and your immune system healthy.Decreases osteoporosis – Osteoporosis is a disease that can weaken bones and increases the likelihood of broken bones. By regularly gardening you will engage in repetitive tasks that will ensure all the major muscle groups get a good workout. This helps decrease the risk of osteoporosis.Reduced risk of dementia – There is research that suggests engaging in a physical activity such as gardening can help lower the risk of developing dementia.
4. Teaches Values & ResponsibilityPlants don’t grow overnight, most importantly, gardening requires patience. Gardening helps you to learn the value of hard work, patience and determination.Keeping your garden maintained and your plants alive is a great responsibility. Also, it teaches you to care for others.
5. Source of Healthy, Organic fruit & vegGrowing your own fruits and vegetables in your garden provides more nutrient-rich produce in your diet, than that of conventional produce. Also, you know exactly what goes into your fruit & veg, and you’ll save money.
6. Being in touch with NatureThe best thing about gardening, is watching your seeds grow into full-sized plants, being exposed to the wonders of plant growth and natural ecosystems. Nature working at it’s best.Gardening brings you closer to the creatures you share your garden with. You can even build your garden around what wildlife you want to attract.
Now you understand the benefits of gardening! Gardening should not be seen as a chore, but rather an activity that is fun, rewarding and promotes health, and well-being.
“We might think we are nurturing our garden, but of course it’s our garden that is really nurturing us” -Jenny Uglow