Winter rainfall regions
What to do in the garden in August:
Plant and sow
- Wait until next month to sow summer-flowering annuals.
- Sow vegetables like:
- asparagus, beetroot,
- broad beans, carrots, cucumbers, brinjals,
- kohlrabi, leeks, lettuces, onions,
- parsnips, peas, peppers, radishes,
- spinach, squash, Swiss chard, tomatoes,
- turnips and vegetable marrows.
Start planting summer-flowering bulbs:
- Amazon lilies, Aztec lilies, berg lilies, blue squill,
- cannas, elephant’s ear, fairy lilies, ifafa lilies,
- montbretias, nerines, peruvian daffodils, plantain lilies,
- pineapple lilies, spider lilies, tiger flowers, tuberose and wild garlic.
General Gardening Maintenance
- Mow the lawn if necessary.
- Mulch the garden beds.
- Start planning the summer garden now.
- Remember to dead head annuals and bedding plants regularly and feed every 2 weeks or so with a diluted liquid fertilizer.
- Pull up spent winter annuals and vegetables and prepare soil for new planting.
- Continue to remove weeds from lawns and paving’s.
- Dead, diseased and damaged wood from deciduous trees and shrubs can be removed.
What should you fertilise ?
- Other fruit that needs fertilisation: peaches, pears, plums and quinces.
- Fertilize Summer-flowering bulbs and keep them moist.