In temperate summer-rainfall regions do the following in your garden during April.
Plant & Sow
- Sow all summer-flowering annuals like: Sow Iceland poppies, pansies, primulas and violas.
- Sow vegetables like:
- Artichokes, beetroot, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbages, cauliflowers, dwarf beans, leeks, lettuces, parsley, parsnips, peas, radishes, runner beans, Swiss chard, turnips and vegetable marrows.
Going on holiday?
- Add water-retention granules to the soil of container plants. This will increase their water-holding capacity, so a good solid watering will last a long time.
- Prepare trenches for sweet peas.
- Put out snail bait in the late afternoon after watering.
General garden maintenance
- Spray apples, pears and quinces against codling moth, and peaches against fruit fly.
- Deadhead daisy bushes regularly to prolong their flowering period; remember to disbud dahlias at regular intervals.
- Keep the soil well mulched.
Consider installing a rainwater tank. Many container grown plants do best if watered with rainwater.
- Stake dahlias and water and fertilize them regularly.
Mulch roses well.
- Cut back chrysanthemums.
- Deadhead roses regularly.
- Sow lawn seed.
- Water citrus trees well every three weeks and spray against citrus psylla; water other fruit trees thoroughly every second week.