In temperate summer-rainfall regions do the following in your garden during April.
- Sow all summer-flowering annuals like:
Iceland poppies, Pansies, Primulas,
Viola Lobularia also known as Alyssum, and Dianthus (pinks)
Antirrhinum majus, Callistephus chinensis,
Dianthus (pinks), Iberis umbellata,
Rudbeckia, Scabiosa atropurpurea
- Sow vegetables like:
- Broad bean, Carrots, Garlic, Kahlrabi, Leeks, Lettuce, Parsnips, Peas, Radishes, Swiss chard and Turnips
General garden maintenance
- Devide hardy summer-flowering perennials that have become overcrowded.
- Keep the soil well mulched.
- Prepare trenches for sweet peas.
- Consider installing a rainwater tank. Many container grown plants do best if watered with rainwater.
- Stake dahlias and water and fertilize them regularly.
- Mulch roses well.
- Cut back chrysanthemums.
- Deadhead roses regularly.
- Sow lawn seed.
- Water citrus trees well every three weeks and spray against citrus psylla; water other fruit trees thoroughly every second week.