In subtropical reigons of the country do the following during April.
Sow quick-maturing summer annuals like:
- Give citrus trees their mid-season feed of 6:1:5 granular fertiliser or an organic equivalent spread evenly over the drip line 20-30cm away from the stem. Mulch and water well
Sow vegetables like:
- Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celeriac,
- Dwarf bean, Leek, Lettuce, Parsley,
- Parsnip, Peas, Radish, Runner bean,
- Swiss chard, Turnip, Brinjals, peppers and pumpkins
General garden maintenace
- Water tropical plants frequently when the weather is hot and dry.
- Put out snail bait after watering or rain.
- Feed mangoes, and water papaws every two weeks in dry weather.
- Water staghorn ferns, bromeliads and orchids daily.
- Do not neglect your container plants; prune them lightly and feed and water them regularly.
- Cut out the dead branches from garden trees.
- Feed and dead head annuals.
- Feed shrubs with a fertilizer high in potassium.
- Water and mow the lawn.
- Fertilize and mulch heliconias and calatheas which are starting to grow during this month.
- Fertilize guava, litchi and mango trees.
- Feed foliage plants with a nitrogen-based fertilizer, such as Nitrosol or Seagro.
- Watch out for mildew on plants, especially on zinnias, and spray if necessary.
- Feed cannas, mulch with compost and water regularly.
- Deadhead flowering plants.
- Water mango trees well from now on.