What to do in your garden this month
Plant and Sow
Sow all summer-flowering annuals like:
- Alyssum, amaranthus, baby’s breath,
- bells of Ireland, busy Lizzy, Californian poppies,
- celosias, coleus, cornflowers, cosmos,
- dianthus, feverfew, gloriosa daisies, hollyhocks,
- lobelias, lupins, nasturtiums, nicotianas,
- petunias, pincushion flowers, portulacas, scarlet salvias, strawflowers, sunflowers, verbenas and zinnias.
Sow vegetables like:
- Asparagus, Beetroot, broccoli, celery,cucumbers,
- Carrots, Cauliflowers, brinjals, kohlrabi, leeks,
- lettuces, parsley, pumpkins, parsnips, Peppers,
- radishes, sweet potatoes, melons, Swiss chard,
- tomatoes, globe and Jerusalem artichokes and
- vegetable marrows.
Plant summer-flowering bulbs
- Amazon lilies, Aztec lilies, berg lilies,
- blue squill, cannas, elephant’s ear,
- fairy lilies, ifafa lilies, montbretias,
- nerines,peruvian daffodils, plantain lilies,
- pineapple lilies, spider ilies, tiger flowers,
- tuberose and wild garlic
- flame lilies, liatris and arums can still be planted now.
General garden maintenance
- Spray apples, pears and quinces against codling moth, and peaches against fruit fly.
- Water citrus trees well every three weeks and spray against citrus psylla; water other fruit trees thoroughly every second week.
For more information on a summer garden click here